Friday, July 22, 2005

Illustration Friday - Tranquility

This weeks Illustration Friday topic is Tranquility -which was synchronous since i had been thinking along those lines today, when I was at the physio and doing exercises in water.

My initial thought for tranquility was 'the sea of tranquility' on the Moon. I thought about drawing swimming astronauts or aliens but went off that idea quickly.

I then thought back to today's physio session and my ponderings about being weightless and amniotic fluid and calm. I had been doing shoulder excercises but while i was relaxing later Kate Bush's song Breathing kept coming into my head.
Anyway my final thought was to do a baby swimming in the sea of tranquility ie the womb , and making it a kind of celestial baby - like the man in the Moon's child.

I used my memories of my children's ultrasound [sonogram] tests to draw the foetus and used quite a few of the textures i have been photgraphing recently to get the uterine veiny look and the softness of the baby.




















Swimming in the Sea of Tranquility

Technorati



13 comments:

andrea said...

Alsion: you live in southern France, right? Though you may have seen them before, I thought you might like these:

http://www.doverpublications.com/sampler/0722/sample13a.htm

andrea said...

Sorry about that cut off URL. Some of this stuff is still new to me. In any case, there are things at Dover Publications that offer lots of reference material to the visual artist.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The embryo hears the pulse of mother's heart. Ultra uncommonly, there is a child who remembers that.

Unknown said...

very very good idea! perfect !

Ellen said...

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Wow.. this reminds me of the book Conception to Birth.. Its got some really incredible images in it!.

Neel said...

I love your blog and love all the images. I will be back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

this is really nice. we are all searching for a sense of tranquility in our lives :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful- peaceful and dreamy- too bad the little ones don't stay in that state for long!

Anonymous said...

Lovely interpretation, beautifully rendered.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful interpretation of this theme. Thanks for stopping by my illo.